San Diego Criminal & Immigration Lawyer
Back to Top
The Experience You Deserve Integrity • Honesty • Commitment

San Diego Immigration Waivers Lawyer

Is Your Immigration Status in Jeopardy?

A non-citizen seeking lawful admission into the United States must go through inspection. This person must then be admitted or paroled by Customs and Border Protection. Persons that entered unlawfully or without inspection are deemed to be inadmissible and subject to removal.

Non-citizens are also considered inadmissible if they have:

  • Certain health issues
  • Criminal convictions
  • Committed a misrepresentation,
  • Acquired unlawful presence
  • A prior removal order.

Fortunately, there are waivers that remove some of the grounds for inadmissibility. The attorneys at Rodriguez Law Firm have years of experience in immigration law. We have a thorough understand of how waivers are applicable to unique situations. We have successfully helped many clients file and receive the waiver they need to enter or remain in the United States.

We will review the issues of inadmissibility and identify which type of waiver is available to you. The good news is, if you are eligible for a waiver it will remove the violation(s). You can then file the appropriate non-immigrant or immigrant visa.

Contact Rodriguez Law Firm online or call (619) 332-1703 to request a consultation with an experienced immigration waiver attorney in San Diego for more information. Se habla Español.

Types of Immigration Waivers

Knowing which waiver to apply for is important. Each waiver can remove specific violation(s) that made the non-citizen inadmissible.

The two most common types of waivers are:

  • I-601A Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver
  • I-601 Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

What is the Difference Between the I-601 and I-601A?

The I-601 waiver has a broad scope compared to the I-601A waiver. This waiver can be used to waive other grounds of inadmissibility, while the I-601A only waives unlawful presence.

The I-601 waiver requires that the applicant have a qualifying relative that will experience extreme hardship if the application is denied. If the applicant does not have qualifying relative or cannot prove extreme hardship for I-601, the waiver will be denied.

Denied I-601 Waivers

If your application for I-601 waivers is denied you will receive a denial notice to the address you provided. If you wish to appeal, you will have 30 days to file Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion.

601A Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver

A person that entered the United States without being inspected and admitted will not be allowed to adjust status. The person will be required to do a consulate process of their application. If the applicant has an unlawful presence the adjudicator at the consulate will ask the applicant to file a form I-601. The process can take many months before the applicant is permitted to return to their family in the United States.

To avoid this, the non-citizen applicant applies for an I-601A conditional waiver before leaving the United States. If approved, the waiver will reduce the time an applicant spends outside the United States while waiting for application approval. The benefit of the I-601A waiver is knowing in advance if the unlawful presence will be waived.

What Are the Requirements for the I-601A?

It is important that the non-citizen applicant understands that not everyone will be eligible for this waiver. If they have an unlawful presence of at least 6 months they will be inadmissible. They will not be permitted to return to the United States for either 3 or 10 years. The 3-year or 10-year bars for unlawful presence do not apply to children until they turn 18 years of age.

Below are the requirements for the I-601A Conditional Waiver:

  • Must be physically present in the United States when the waiver is filed
  • Is 17 years of age or older
  • Be a spouse, son, or daughter of a US citizen or lawful resident
  • Be the beneficiary of an approved I-130, I-140, or I-360

Denial of the waiver will cause the qualifying relative extreme hardship.

What is a Permanent Bar?

There is another penalty bar that is called a "permanent bar." The permanent bar penalizes non-citizens for having unlawful presence under INA §212(a)(9)(C)(i)(I). The permanent bar is triggered when the applicant accumulates over a year of unlawful presence, leaves, then illegally reenters.

There is also a waiver, but it is not available until the person remains outside the United States at least ten years. After ten years the person can apply with Form I-21. This is also known as Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal.

Do you need an unlawful presence waiver? Call a San Diego immigration waiver lawyer at (619) 332-1703.
Services are available in Spanish.

I-601 Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

The I-601 hardship waiver can only be submitted when the person is outside the United States or after the immigration interview overseas. The applicant will need to wait for the I-601 waiver approval from their home country. This waiver can be used to waive violations that created the grounds of inadmissibility.

Grounds of Inadmissibility requiring I-601 Waiver:

  • Health-related issues
  • Criminal Convictions
  • Immigration fraud or misrepresentation
  • 3-year or 10-year bar for unlawful presence

What Are the Requirements for the I-601 Waiver?

The I-601 Waiver requirements:

  • Reside outside of the United States
  • Have a spouse or parent are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
  • Are the fiancé of a US citizen petitioner
  • Show extreme hardship by qualifying relative
  • Deserve a favorable exercise of discretion

What Is Extreme Hardship?

USCIS defines "extreme hardship" as “greater than the normal hardship” that is experienced by others. The officer that reviews the waiver application will consider all factors. However, they will also categorize the information between “extreme” and “normal” hardships.

The applicant has the burden of proving extreme hardship by what is called preponderance of the evidence.

If the evidence submitted by the applicant is:

  • Relevant
  • Probative
  • Credible

And the USCIS officer believes the qualifying relative will suffer extreme hardship, the applicant has satisfied the evidence standard.

The factors should be presented in your application:

  • How prolonged separation anxiety affect the qualifying relative
  • What loss of job, career opportunities, income, educational opportunities will occur
  • The level of difficulty experienced by the qualifying relative if they remain in the United States without their spouse or parent
  • The level of difficulty experienced by the qualifying relative if they move to the applicant’s home country
  • The financial hardship, any dangerous political conditions, or cultural differences that affect the qualifying relative
  • Any medical condition and care issues affected by the separation
  • Mental health issues affected by the separation

Collect All Documents to Prove Extreme Hardship

The officer adjudicating the I-601 waiver must consider all factors and consequences when assessing extreme hardship. For this reason, the applicant must carefully collect all possible documents and evidence to support their extreme hardship claim.

The officer adjudicating the hardship is required to weigh all the factors individually and cumulatively, submitted with the waiver. The officer must:

  • Consider whether any factor individually rises to the level of extreme hardshi;
  • If any one factor does not rise to the level of extreme hardship, the officer must consider all other factors presented to determine if they rise to extreme hardship collectively. This includes hardships to multiple qualifying relatives.

Need Help With Immigration Waivers? Call (619) 332-1703.

If you or someone you love has jeopardized their immigration status, turn to the Rodriguez Law Firm. We have years of experience and are ready to answer any of your questions during a consultation. If you choose to work with our firm, competitive fees and payment plans are also available. Do not wait -- reach out to us today for sound counsel!

Our San Diego immigration waiver attorney is known for his dedication and positive outcomes in immigration cases. Call (619) 332-1703 to request a consultation at Rodriguez Law Firm.

They've Been Where You're At

Past Clients Share Their Experience
  • Rodriguez Law Firm, my fiance and I are so thankful and appreciative for your assistance!

    - RK & EL
  • Best lawyer I recommend him

    - Anibal Rodolfo
  • Rodriguez Law Firm is outstanding!

    - J. M.
  • John R. Rodriguez Photo
    John R. Rodriguez

    Founding Attorney

    John R. Rodriguez is a San Diego trial attorney with the experience that will make a difference in your criminal or immigration case. His combined experience as a trial lawyer, former police officer, and private investigator has culminated into a successful legal career with a proven track record that his clients can rely on. He began his legal career as a criminal defense attorney defending Latino immigrants arrested in communities throughout Napa, Solano, and Contra Costa Counties for 15 years ...

Why Choose Rodriguez Law Firm?

Your Success is Our Success
  • Mission

    We are here to help immigrant families live the American dream.  We do this by offering competitive Fees and Payments Plans designed to help you afford our services.

  • Commitment

    Our commitment to our clients will never waiver.  We strive to always provide our clients with professional services and the best legal solutions available.

  • Honesty

    We understand that clients need to trust their attorney.  We work hard to earn your trust by being transparent and honest with our legal advice and proposed solutions.

  • Integrity

    Our integrity is the key to a successful Attorney-Client relationship.  We are committed to always serving your best interest with integrity and respect.