Fiancé Visa

San Diego Fiancé Visa Attorney

Helping Clients Obtain K Visas

A United States citizen who is engaged to marry their foreign fiancé is permitted to bring them from overseas to the United States with a K-1 fiancé visa. This type of visa requires that you get married within 90 days. If your fiancé has children under 21 years of age, they can also come with a K-2 visa.

Our immigration laws also allow American citizens to apply for a K-3 visa if they choose to get married in their fiancé’s home country first and then bring their spouse to the United States. The Rodriguez Law Firm has had the pleasure of helping many clients with their fiancé visas.

If you have any questions about the fiancé visa process, call our San Diego immigration lawyer at (619) 332-1703for a consultation. Se habla Español.

Requirements for a K-1 Fiancé Visa

To petition for a K-1 fiancé visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a U.S. citizen
  • You have met your fiancé in person at least once within the past two years
  • You are both single, i.e. free to marry
  • You and your fiancé have no disqualifying criminal history
  • You can financial support your fiancé

If you or your future spouse have a disqualifying criminal history, you can apply for a waiver. Additional waivers are available if meeting your spouse in person would cause an extreme hardship or violate strict, long established cultural practices for either you or your fiancé.

Required Documentation for the K-1 Visa

In addition to proving that you are in a bona fide relationship with your fiancé, the NVC will want to see many different types of supporting documents.

To get the K-1 Visa, the U. S citizen and foreign fiancé must:

  • Correctly complete and file the form I-129 petition for alien fiancé
  • Prove the petitioner is a United States citizen through a U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate
  • Prove that they are legally able to marry each other (not married to someone else)
  • Get married within 90-days of admission to the United States
  • Prove they met in person at least once within two years (unless exception)
  • Pay all filing fees, passport type photo, and complete biometrics
  • Provide an affidavit of support to show you meet minimum income requirements
  • Provide any criminal records or police clearance letters, if applicable
  • Provide a divorce decree, if applicable

The K-1 Fiancé Visa Process

Applying for a K-1 visa can take anywhere between 6-12 months. The process does not have a premium processing service option. However, you can take certain steps to reduce both delays and the chances of your visa being denied.

Process for Obtaining a K1 Fiancé Visa 

  • The process starts when you send the petition to the USCIS office.
  • Once the application is approved it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • If the petition, background checks, and supporting documents are all in order, then the NVC will request the fiancé undergo a medical exam at a medical facility of their choice.
  • Your fiancé will be scheduled for an interview and if the petition is approved then she or he will be allowed to enter the United States with their K-1 visa.
  • You must provide any necessary documents, such as letter of intent to marry and proof of the authenticity of your relationship. You must ensure you are eligible to marry your partner, providing divorce or annulment records for previous marriages if necessary. An immigration attorney can best help you prepare your case and provide you peace of mind in your application.

K-2 Visa for the Children

The K-2 visa will permit the children of a K-1 fiancé visa holder to enter the United States. To be eligible for the K-2 visa the fiancé’s child or children must be under 21 years old and not married. The K-2 visa will give the child the option to accompany their K-1 parent to the United States. Once the U. S. citizen and fiancé get married the child can adjust their status to permanent resident by filing their own form I-485.

K-3 Visa or Marriage Visa or Foreign Spouse

This visa is available to the foreign spouse of a U. S. citizen that is living abroad to enter the United States. The K-3 visa allows the foreign spouse of a U. S. citizen who has already filed the I-130 Petition to enter the United States and wait for approval of the form I-130 petition. You will be required to show proof that you filed the I-130 Petition Proof of the I-130 should be included with the K-3 visa application. Once your I-130 is received they will send you a receipt which can be used to file the form I-129F Petition for Fiancé visa. When USCIS approves the petition, they will send it to the National Visa Center for processing.

The K-3 visa is an option created to permit the foreign spouse to enter the United States and be with their U. S. spouse while waiting for the process of an immigrant visa or their green card. But the processing time for the K-3 visa is currently too long and not recommended by many immigration attorneys.

Do I Need an Immigration Lawyer for A Spouse Visa?

While it is not a legal requirement to hire an immigration lawyer for a spouse visa application, having the assistance of a knowledgeable and experienced marriage visa attorney can significantly increase your chances of success. If you are considering applying for a spouse visa, also known as a marriage-based visa or CR-1 visa, below are some key reasons why seeking the guidance of a  fiancé visa or spouse visa lawyer is beneficial:

  • Legal Expertise: A spouse visa application involves navigating complex immigration laws, forms, and documentation requirements. An experienced lawyer who specializes in family immigration can provide valuable guidance throughout the entire process, ensuring that your application is properly prepared and submitted. Avoid delays and ensure that your process is a breeze by getting in touch with Rodriguez Law Firm for a consultation.
  • Case Evaluation: A seasoned spouse visa lawyer can evaluate your unique circumstances, including any potential complications or issues that may arise. They can assess your eligibility, identify potential challenges, and develop a strategic plan to overcome any obstacles.
  • Documentation and Form Preparation: One of the critical aspects of a successful spouse visa application is the preparation of accurate and thorough documentation. A skillful attorney can assist you in gathering the necessary evidence, completing the required forms, and ensuring that all documentation is properly organized and presented to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).
  • Legal Representation: If complications or issues arise during the application process, having a spouse visa lawyer by your side can provide peace of mind. At Rodriguez Law Firm, we can advocate for your rights and interests, communicate with USCIS on your behalf, and handle any legal matters that may arise during the process.

Call Our Experienced Fiancé Visa Lawyer in San Diego

At our firm, we understand the importance of effective communication and ensuring that our clients feel comfortable throughout the process. That's why we offer services in both English and Spanish. With over 20 years of experience in family immigration law, we have helped numerous clients successfully navigate the spouse visa application process in California.

If you are considering completing a spouse visa application, don't hesitate to seek the assistance of a qualified family immigration attorney at Rodriguez Law Firm. Contact our experienced spouse visa lawyers for a consultation – we are dedicated to providing personalized and knowledgeable legal representation to help you reunite with your spouse in the United States.

Contact our officeand speak with a San Diego immigration attorney to explore your options. 

  • I was really confident in sending out my GC application after working with them.
    Chen D.
  • He was extremely patient and professional.
    Agustin P.
  • Thank god we found Mr. Rodriguez's law firm.
    Former Client
  • I had researched at least 30 lawyers before I chose John. All the other lawyers I spoke to seemed focused on their fees rather than my case.
    Aliya H.
  • This was all a super stressful situation, but after hiring John, I finally felt like the weight was lifted.
    Leah H.

    Get In Touch

    We approach every case with a unique level of integrity & transparency.

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy